This is a specialized X-ray of the chest, lungs and abdomen. The examination will be performed at St. Paul's Hospital, Radiology Department, 2nd Floor, Providence Building.
Preparation for this examination:
- You will be required to take some gastrografin (an x-ray dye) prior to the test. Please get your gastrografin from the Radiology Department prior to the appointment date. The department is open from Monday - Sunday 8:00 am - 8:00 pm.
- Do NOT refrigerate the bottle of gastrografin.
- The night prior to the examination, pour the 10cc bottle of gastrografin into 18oz (500cc) of juice or any other non-carbonated beverage (e.g. water) and drink before retiring to bed.
- The day of the examination: Eat or drink nothing for 5 hours prior to the examination. Please DO NOT chew gum.
- Be prepared to spend approximately 2 hours in the Radiology Department. You will be given more to drink prior to the scan.
- You may take your prescribed medication with a few sips of fluid.